About

This is a combination of random thoughts, essays, and autocorrect poetry.

Basically, I hit random letters on my iPhone and sometimes by chance I find surprisingly poetic lines like:

Width wiser splatter
Wounded rising
Sequined absinthe against sepia

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Cleaning, War, and Pokemon

I've been cleaning out my room because my family is moving soon and I've stumbled upon some really entertaining things. First a metal slinky that I played with for an embarrassingly long amount of time. I ran into my mom's room, "LOOK WHAT I FOUND!" She laughed at me. I don't know why. I love the clanky sound it makes as you slink it back and forth. It's quite soothing in an odd sort of way. 

I found a LOT of writing that I did in grade school. I swear, I never throw anything I've ever written away. #writerproblems Oops I just hashtagged on my blog. That literally does nothing here. Now I am ashamed.

Anyway, I have found SO much stuff I've written in the past and it has provided much amusement. For instance here is a poem I wrote in the fourth grade about Thanksgiving:

I am thankful for everything. 
The moon, the sun, and thanksgiving. 
The stars, the sky, the food I eat. 
My dog, my clothes, and my favorite treats. 
My house, the world and life. 
Holidays, water, and my pocket knife. 
But the thing I am thankful for most...
more than anything...
would have to be...
my family!

I love the line about my pocket knife. I remember being so excited about my pocket knife in the third grade. In fact, I had sort of an obsession with useful items you could keep in your pocket when I was young. I remember I specifically asked for a pocket watch for my birthday. My mom got me a silver one with my name engraved on it. I loved holding it feeling its pulse. It was like a heartbeat. I would hold it to my ear to hear the steady ticking. I put it in my pocket, loving the way the chain looked as it hung and clipped to my belt loop. Maybe it was my suppressed desire to be a gangster, or maybe I just appreciated feeling like I was special. I wasn't just Julia anymore. I was Julia, the girl with a silver chain hanging from her pocket. 

Speaking of small, shiny objects you keep in your pocket, I also had a harmonica when I was young. I have a renewed appreciation for my mother and her patience after hearing my neighbor practice his recorder outside. Wind instruments played by children create sounds that should never be heard by the human ear. I think instead of wars we should just trap our enemies in a room full of third graders practicing the recorder. Now THAT would be hell.

Actually, there are so many better ways to deal with conflict than war. There is a quote from either The Sun Also Rises or All Quiet On the Western Front that fits what I want to talk about perfectly, but alas, I cannot find it. It discusses how there should just be cage matches between military leaders instead of throwing in a bunch of drafted soldiers who don't really care about what they are fighting about. So many innocent lives could be saved if there those in charge just battled it out.

A better alternative of course would be for Pokemon to be real. That could save a LOT of lives. In fact, I wrote an essay about Pokemon for school. Here it is:

The World in My Gameboy

            Ever since I can remember video games have been a part of my life. When I was young my family and I would play all sorts of video games: Donkey Kong, Yoshi’s Island, Mario Party and Super Smash. But my favorite was always Pokémon.

As I grew older I started to look at Pokemon as more than just an enjoyable game. I began to view it as a way of life. I believe that if Pokémon were real the world would be a better place. Now I know what you are probably thinking; Julia is such a nerd, and why would she ever believe in something as ridiculous as this? You’re right about one thing; I am about as nerdy as you can get. But I truly believe that this is a perfectly reasonable idea.

If Pokémon existed the world would be less violent. Instead of malicious, destructive wars between humans there would be respectful, civilized battles between Pokémon trainers. The better trainer would win, but the losing trainer wouldn’t have lost anything but his own pride. Pokémon do not die in battle; they merely faint. A simple trip to the Pokémon Center revives them. This method of setting disagreements would result in a more peaceful, loving world.

There would be less pollution if Pokémon were real. Instead of driving cars people could fly on their Pokémon to get from town to town. And if you needed to get across a body of water, no problem, you would simply teach one of your Pokémon how to surf. In the Pokemon games, people ride their bikes or walk everywhere. This would not only make the air cleaner, but it would also help to fight obesity. Pokémon would make this earth a healthier place to live.

By caring for their Pokémon and creating unbreakable bonds with them, people would learn to love and respect all creatures. They would realize that they are not superior; that all living creatures are created equally. The sense of competition between trainers would motivate people to be the best they can be. The only way to become the best trainer is to work together with your Pokemon, not to order them around.  By training and loving Pokemon people would learn that through hard work and a kind heart you are rewarded. It is this love and perseverance that would make the world a much better place.
Not only would people learn to love their Pokemon, but they would also learn to love one another. Trading Pokemon and having friendly battles with other trainers would help build strong friendships. There are so many Pokemon contests and gyms which would bring people together from several different regions. In the Pokemon games, everyone is very trusting of one another. Their doors are always open and Pokemon are always allowed inside. Pokemon would bring people together.

As you can see, I am a nerd. I spend my time daydreaming about what the world would be like if Pokemon were real. But the more I think about it, the more I believe in it and the more I wish the real world was like the world in my gameboy.

---Well I sure got off topic quickly. Hope you didn't mind getting a glimpse into the inner workings of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment