About

This is a combination of random thoughts, essays, and autocorrect poetry.

Basically, I hit random letters on my iPhone and sometimes by chance I find surprisingly poetic lines like:

Width wiser splatter
Wounded rising
Sequined absinthe against sepia

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Diary of a Sick Girl: Bras, Gatorade, Tips, and Makeup

"To live is to experience things, not sit around and ponder the meaning of life." -Paulo Coelho, Aleph

So I just finished Aleph by Paulo Coelho. I loved it and I recommend anything written by him. I don't want to give too much of it away, but if you enjoy stories about past lives, or just about life's purpose in general then you'll like it (pretty much if you are a living human being, you'll appreciate some part of this novel).

Unfortunately, I got sick on my birthday. Sinus infection. Body aches and misery. Blegh. Yeah, you get the gist. This of course means that I've been quarantined in my house (more specifically my bedroom) for around 48 hours. Being cooped up indoors can do odd things to your mind. For instance, I hadn't talked to anyone all day and my mom comes into my room holding a strapless bra. Thus this scene plays out:

"Julia, what did you want to do with this? It was in a bag in the laundry room,"

(Silence as I try to comprehend that a person in speaking words to me.)

"Julia, do you want this?"

"Yes. This, I believe is good."

There was a pause, and then we both started cracking up. Apparently I truly believe in this bra and its goodness. I couldn't formulate thoughts into words and told my mom that this is what happens after I don't talk to anyone all day.

Another instance such as this happened on a road trip. My family and I were stopping at a Subway and I had just woken up from a nap. When I say just woken up I mean that my eyes were still half-shut and I am pretty sure my body forgot how to move properly, since I stumbled through the door to Subway like a drunkard. My mom turned to me and asked if I wanted a drink, or if I would just drink something we already had in the car. There was a long silence.

Then, I said in a breathy voice, "Gatorade is great."

I shook my head and then asked, "Wait, did I just say something?"

We both cracked up. I meant, "Gatorade is fine," as in I don't need a drink, but it just came out weird. This is probably one of those moments where you had to be there for it to be funny. There should be a word for those. I'm going to call it a Gatorade moment just for the sake of the story. I have a lot of Gatorade moments in my life.

This next story isn't a Gatorade moment, however it does involve my oblivious stupidity. I was with my tennis team at Penn Station after a match. We were ordering subs and I was really hungry as always. (Fun fact about me: I love food and eating). So yeah, I was just paying for my sub (a Club with smoked ham, oven-roasted turkey, apple-smoked bacon, swiss, lettuce, tomatoes, sweet tangy honey mustard and mayo...god my mouth is watering just thinking about it) like normal when I noticed something odd. 

After I had given them my money I expected to get change back, but when I looked at the counter all I saw was this small styrofoam cup. I peered in and saw a few dollar bills and some coins. Weird, I thought, why did they put my change in this stupid little cup? I shrugged it off and placed the cup on my tray. I walked over to a table where some of my teammates were sitting and sat down.

We were eating, when out of nowhere, my friend Maggie points at the cup and asks, "Hey Julia, what's that?" 

I prepared to explain about the cashier putting my change in the cup, but then I read a tiny word written in black sharpie that made my heart race, "TIPS." 

"Oh my god!" I said as I ran the cup back to the counter. I garbled out some apologies and such to the employees, but I'm pretty sure they just thought I was some insane person who escaped the nearest asylum. 

So yeah, basically I'm a tip jar thief. Hide your jars, hide your boxes, she be stealin' all them tip containers up in here! Sorry, I'm in a weird mood. Being cooped up causes cabin fever in my insides, making me have weird thoughts like what if all of this is a dream and I'm really Beyoncé.

Unrelated, I just talked to my friend about makeup and I feel like having a rant, so let me have one world! I don't like wearing makeup. I think that it is a waste of money. I'm not good at applying it (especially on other people) and mascara gets in my contacts and makes life horrible. I don't like how some people won't leave their house without makeup on. I mean, if you're wearing enough makeup to where you look like a whole different person without it on then you're doing it wrong. Just ask Aunt Becky from that one episode of Full House when she teaches DJ how to put on makeup (shout out to my fellow 90's kids who get this reference). 

Sure, I'll wear some makeup for special occasions like weddings or dances, but every day is just too much. Maybe if I liked putting it on or was particularly good at it I would wear it more often, but for me makeup is just too much of a hassle and too much of a hazard for my poor eyes. Really, having a tiny particle of mascara on your contact is like having a crazy psycho man stab you in the eye repeatedly. Okay, so I've never actually experienced that firsthand so I can't really make the comparison, but I assume it would be about the same sensation.

My sick ramblings are over peeps. Peace out.

Also here is a response to the quote at the beginning, since I want this post to be full-circle like Coelho's books. I would really like to be out experiencing life right now and not just pondering it, BUT I'M SICK. Moral of the story: being sick crushes dreams and makes people sad. I hope I've enlightened you with this new information. Wash your hands fools. G'night.


No comments:

Post a Comment